Most people will agree that a deck cannot be complete unless there is some form of outdoor deck lighting on it and there a number of decking lighting ideas available for a person who wishes to light up their deck. In most cases the king of lighting that will be used for a particular deck will be determined by factors such as source of power like electricity and solar as well as the amount of direct sunlight that the yard gets. Post lighting is the first kind of lighting that one should consider for their deck and one of the good things about this kind of lighting is that it comes in various styles namely; base lights, caps or lamp posts.
Railing posts are the best option to use when attaching post cap lights for the deck area and one can choose posts made from wood grain, burnished copper and brass for the best look. This kind of lighting is best used where there is requirement for lower, softer lighting. Scones lighting fixtures are another option for a person who is looking to light up their deck. This kind of light is best used as an overhead light that is mounted on a wall and is best used when entertaining guests. Since there are many styles of this kind of lighting it is advisable that one settles for the one that will suit their home best.
String lights are another option as far as decking lighting ideas are concerned and they are mostly used during Christmas celebrations. This does not however mean that the lights cannot be used for any other occasion. String lights work best as accent lights and one should attaché them on the deck’s railing or overhead. Many of these lights can be bought as LED which …
Before starting construction think carefully of the location, design, and purpose of the deck you wish to build. By making a design and estimating the materials required, you can save time and money, and the job will go much faster. You should consult your local building code authorities before beginning. Basic construction skills are required. You may wish to consult a contractor. There are also reference books or websites for ideas. A well built deck will be a valuable asset to your home.
- hammer and drill
- measuring tapes
- chalk line
- galvanized or stainless steel nails or screws. Note: If you are using an ACQ treated sub-structure, this is very important because the chemicals can corrode other fasteners. Stainless steel fasteners should never be used where they may come in contact with galvanized fasteners or brackets.
1. The deck can be spanned to a maximum of 24” span; however, we recommend a 16” span on the center for perpendicular application of the boards. If a diagonal design is done, then a maximum of 12” should be used on center.
2. If you are using regular nails or screws, the deck boards can be used as you would with regular lumber. Be sure to put the fasteners through the thick parts of the board to get best holding power.
3. If you are going to use the hidden deck clip, the benefit will be a deck surface free of nail or screw heads.
- You will need a chalk line as the clips should be attached to the joists in perfectly parallel lines. They should be laid out 5 ¾” to 5 7/8” (147mm-149mm) apart to give a 3/16” to 1/4” (5mm-6mm) gap between boards.
- This will allow water and dirt to be cleaned out from
Using a Decking Calculator is a great approach when trying to decide what type of decking and what size of decking you need.
Before you start any building project, planning is a vital part of the process. If you draw out the basic design you want and list the various materials, you stand a much better chance of doing the job right and completing it with the least amount of hassle possible.
Decking calculators fall into two different categories
First of all you can buy some decking calculator software that downloads onto your computer and gives you precise details based on the requirements you enter.
Or, alternatively, you can search on Google for a online decking calculator and you will find an abundance of websites which provide all sort of functionality ranging from basic calculations to complete project planning features. These allow you to enter the measurements of your decking and give you the total ares of composite decking or hardwood decking boards required.
When building decking, it’s always best to go into your garden and make several sketches of what the finished deck will look like and the area its going to cover.
You don’t have to be a talented artist, just a rough sketch put onto paper so that you have a clear picture in your mind about the square footage and, just as important, the surrounding landscaping.
Deciding what kind of bushes and trees, flower beds and rockeries, or areas of chippings or wood bark can all be done at the planning stage and put onto your sketch pad. This also allows your partner to see whats going on in your mind, so that you can both agree on what goes where before you start digging big holes in the garden.
By using a decking calculator, you …